Sunday, April 15, 2012

Being thick dosen't help in Urban Rooms.My Experience.

Last night I did an “Urban Room” meaning very few white people. Okay, none. I think there were about 100-150 in the audience, the stage was high, I got called off guard and ran to the stage while chewing some chips. I looked at the stage before I went up, and looked at ALL THE PEOPLE, and then looked at the mirror (it was right behind me, I didn’t actually looked for one), then I told my self, start praying now that this wouldn’t be a BAD JOKE.
I got up first, right after the host. First thing I said:”don’t feel awkward I’m white, actually looks can be deceiving, I’m Jewish, that’s even worse.” So that was a good start. Self hate always work. Then I went off to my martial, which allot of ppl asking about if I adjust my jokes to the crowd? I do have some black jokes I’m more excited to do with black crowd but most of the jokes are about me so I just do me. Maybe 5 years in comedy I’ll have enough jokes to all types of people. Don’t hold your breath.
Before the show I wrote all the jokes I wanted to do on a note. Not the whole joke you know, just one word to describe it. It helps me remember. Plus I wanted to do some new jokes.I remembered most of it, some of my jokes weren’t a hit but some got a few claps and hard laughs. And honestly to perform in front of a group of people I only got to see on TV while I was growing up, and make them laugh, even tho we prob have very little in common, felt really good. Of course I get nervous before I get up on stage, but once I’m up there and looking at ppl in the crowd it goes away. And at some point you get use to talk to a big bunch of people. The point is to have fun.. and make some bitches laugh.
I did about 15 min. I didn’t end with a hard laugh which pissed me off a little but there’s really nothing I can do about it now. Allot of comics refuse to do “Urban Rooms”, I’m not sure why, stage time is stage time. Yeah it could get nasty but bottom line it will only get you better. I never had that separation about what kind of crowd I would like to do a show with, for me u’all AMERICANS and color is just ur issue. If you funny you funny. And doing comedy for me is allot about delivering a message so I’m sure all humans can relate to what I say.
How do I feel about my set? Well all the comics that went after me killed every second on stage, there were only 4 more after me (All men) , each did about 25 min, all of them have their “hour special”. So I’m trying not to compare myself to other comics that have been doing it for years, but this way I know it ain’t the crowd.. (Sometimes we blame the crowd), but yeah it was good for where I’m at with my comedy. There’s always room to get better, sharpen ur jokes, and work on delivery. And all the jokes that didn’t work on this room doesn’t mean they don’t work at all. I killed with those jokes in a 400 “all kind crowd”, so yeah, I do believe in finding your crowd, and stick to whatever you think is funny. But if it never works let it go… : )
BTW the show was in Staten Island. I’m not sure what the place called. I’ll find out.
This is it for 2day. Already 2 weeks in New York and I’ve been on 35 different stages. (open mics and shows).
It’s easy to do the things you love <3
Pease

No comments:

Post a Comment