Friday, April 13, 2012

How does it feels to bomb at a open mic when all the other comics killed?



WELL, I tried to get up at the Duplex(Suddenly Stand-up on Wednesday) twice already, once it was my first time and I actually got there at 7:00 which is when the show started.. So I wasn’t able to get up, the list was full. Then I came back the next week at 5:00 thinking I’m early.. I was wrong! I was on the waiting list or whatever it’s called. Which sucked but whatever I still had a show that night. But anyways, the thing about this mic is that it SEEMS like everyone are killing up there.. I personally found a couple of very funny comics and was impressed so I figured it’s a great mic. The atmosphere is awesome, usually it’s packed, and the host – I think Michael is pretty cool. SO 3rd week I got there, motivated, ready to do this mic! So I got there at 4:00, when the bar opens.. (ya don’t get there at 3 nobody’s there) and then I went back home because wtf am I gonna do for 3 hours?? I didn’t wanna do other mics and rush or whatever. Which I guess looking back it was possible. But anyways, the regular host wasn’t there, 2 comics hosted instead, they both are very funny, my opinion.. ! and it was fun. The thing is that nobody knows me since I just moved here from Los Angeles, so I’m still walking in the dark.. I guess. So the way they do it is even if you’re second on the list (like I was) it doesn’t mean u going up second.. They chose when to get you up. I got up around 8:00. After I introduced myself.. I got a little discouraged. But got over it.
So I went up, first mistake, opened with a new joke. And I don’t know at some point I wanted to say so many words in so little time so everything sounded like a mess.. I think 2 min in I had a joke coming. I think I was so focused in the crowd that I lost focus in my jokes. I got a couple of giggles, which is fine when everybody else get the same, but that wasn’t the case. I almost felt like I had to introduce myself like it was a support group. So I did. My death jokes didn’t go so well, which is alright, it’s a gay bar. Oh and my rape jokes. So yeah I think dark shit ain’t the best jokes to open with . Sometimes you can really feel when comics judge you. But it’s cool I do it too. Bottom line, it was a good experience. Did I feel great after it? Fuck no I felt like shit but if it doesn’t kill you it makes you stronger.
So yeah it wasn’t the best experience for me, but I do think if you become a regular then u’ll get allot of love back, because most of the comics there were very comfortable and weren’t even telling jokes just venting and they still got a good response. SO, fuck yeah I’m going back there, I will say this, I do think when there’s new comics then it’ll be awesome to show some support and put them up early. That’s my opinion.

Shabbat Shalom :)
R
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment